To enable patrons to form their own opinions, the library will attempt to provide items that present a variety of viewpoints.
The responsibility for selection and placement of items in the library resides with the Library Director, staff, and the Moore County Library Board. Patron suggestions, library catalogs, and evaluative sources such as reviews in newspapers, magazines, and online resources are all considered when selecting items for purchase in the collection.
The selection criteria may include any or all of the following:
- Suitability of physical form for library use
- Publication date and printing date
- Suitability of subject and style for intended audience
- Present and potential relevance to local interests and needs
- Number and nature of requests from the library users, community need
- Historical significance
- Relation to existing collection, alternative formats, and other items on the subject
- Attention of reviewers, critics, and the public
- Comprehensive treatment of subject matter
- Accuracy of information with regards to publication year to keep current, correct data available, especially in science and technology fields
- Quality of illustrations, print, binding, etc.
- Originality of works
- Value of resource in relation to cost
- Physical limitations of the library building in which the collection is housed
Approved by the Moore County Library Board on 10/14/2021.